Investing in Spain
Those who choose to invest a significant amount in Spain shall have the right to request a 1-year multiple entry visa, along with a residence permit that shall be granted for two years, for the investor, spouse, and any children under the age of 18 years old, as long as the investment is one of the following:
- 500,000€ of Spanish real estate
- 1,000,000€ in stocks or shares of Spanish companies, or bank deposits in Spanish banks
- 2,000,000€ in Spanish Debt Bonds
- Business plans considered to be of general interest to Spain shall also qualify. In order to do this, applicants must request a favourable report covering the entrepreneurial and business activity to be developed in Spain in compliance with the following requirements:
1. Plan for employment creation.
2. Fulfil an investment of socioeconomic impact in the geographical area where the project will be carried out.
3. Involve a significant contribution to scientific and/or technological innovation.
The holders of this residence permit have several advantages:
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding This Type of Authorisation:
Can I obtain a mortgage to buy the property worth 500,000 euros?
The price of the property must be at least 500,000 euros, not including VAT or any expenses incurred in acquiring the property, and free of charges or debts. If the initial property value exceeds 500,000 euros, a mortgage may be obtained for the remaining value of the property.
Can I work with this type of residence permit?
Yes. Residents with this type of visa may work for paid or self-employment.
Can I renew this residence permit?
Residency may be renewed every two years, without limit, as long as you can show that you have maintained the investment.
What happens if I do not maintain the investment?
If it is brought to the attention of the immigration office that the investment has not been maintained, you could lose residency. When we say “maintain the investment”, we mean, maintain the level of investment. For example, if you acquire a property worth 500,000 euros in order to request the visa and residence permit, and after obtaining both, you sell the property and buy another of equal or greater value, then there will be no problem, as long as you have maintained the level of investment through the purchasing of another property.
How long will it take to process my request?
This type of visa is a fast-track visa offering preferential treatment, so the processing time is short. The visa application will be processed in 10 days and the residence permit in 20 days.